Monday, August 23, 2010

Shampoo/Conditioner, Lotion, Refill Station?

Wouldn't it be great if we had refill stations (like gas stations) for shampoo/conditioner, lotions and laundry detergent? Buy a bottle once and just take it to the refill station when you run out. There wouldn't be the opportunity for alot of selection, but there are ways to find out what are the most popular brands and have them shipped in like fuel. Manufacturers could still charge just a little less to consumers and would rapidly decrease the mass usage of plastic and help the environment. What do people think? Am I just crazy? heheheheheShampoo/Conditioner, Lotion, Refill Station?
We have several in Edmonton.





Earth's General Store encourages its customers to bring in their jugs, bottles, and jars for refill, not just recycle. They are a standard retail store, so they don't represent any one company. There's plenty of selection! There are many health food and green cleaning companies who package thier products in bulk for stores to bring in. http://www.earthsgeneralstore.com/





I refill my laundry soap, my castile soap, cleaners, shampoos, conditioners... And most other products come in bulk, too, like borax, baking soda, soap flakes... And you can use any container, not just the one that product originally came in.





I am planning on moving to Newfoundland, one of the Island provinces. They have NO recycling facilities there, and burn ALL their refuse. It's nasty. I hope to make my living opening up a retail store with just such a feature. After all, they are paying to import all that packaging, with the tremendous carbon footprint. We should be able to get alot more life out of such luxuries as imported containers...





Oh. And I make my own creams, lotions, lip balms,cleansers... And I encourage ppl to bring me back their containers. New packaging costs sometimes as much as the product itself. You as a consumer are paying through the nose for it, even if the cost is hidden. It's worth it to reuse, if only for your pocketbook.





If there isn't one in your area, maybe you should start one...

No comments:

Post a Comment